I have taught students in HE on a wide range of applied mathematics courses for mathematics and mathematical sciences programmes, and on programmes in other disciplines, and at all levels, for 36 years. I have wide experience of most facets of undergraduate and postgraduate study, and particularly the school-university transition.
I have considerable experience of education policy and practice in the pre-HE sector, and particularly Post 16 Mathematics, and on the school-university transition, as outlined below.
I am a Professor of Mathematics and Mathematics Education in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Reading. As well as 36 years’ teaching and leadership experience, my 400+ publications span research in numerical analysis, mathematics/science education, and teaching and learning.
I am a regular invited speaker at national conferences and workshops.
I have reviewed A-level Mathematics and Further Mathematics for the Department for Education (DfE) as a member of ALCAB, reviewed A-level Mathematics and Further Mathematics for Ofqual, and reviewed Core Maths (CM) qualifications for the DfE.
I have been, or am currently, a consultant to the Core Maths Support Programme (CMSP); an External Expert Advisor to Ofqual working on the reforms to AS/A-level Mathematics and Further Mathematics a reader (assessor) for The Queen's Anniversary Prizes for Higher and Further Education.
I am, or have recently been, a member of the:
- Royal Society’s Advisory Committee on Mathematics Education (ACME)
- Council of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA)
- Senior Advisory Boards for Teaching, Managing, Promoting CM
- DfE/HE Group on CM
- A-level Content Advisory Board (ALCAB)
- A-level Mathematics Advisory Board (ALMAB)
- Ofqual’s External Expert Advisory Panel
- Royal Society’s A level Contact Group
- Joint RS/IMA/LMS/RSS/JMC Group on Contact Groups
- Royal Society Group on Monitoring Reforms in Qualifications
- DfE Standards & Testing Agency Task Review Group
- London Mathematical Society’s (LMS) International Affairs Committee
- External Advisory Board for Future Teaching Scholars (FTS) Programme
- External Advisory Board (and Reviewer) for Nuffield Foundation projects
- External Advisory Board for Association of Colleges (AoC)/Education and Training Foundation (ETF) projects
- IMA Schools and FE Committee
- National Maths Hubs Forum
- Strategic Boards for Maths Hubs: Berks, Bucks and Oxon (Chair); NW1; Solent; London Thames, Surrey Plus
- NCTL Stakeholder Group for Teacher Subject Specialism Training TSST
- Chair, DfE/NCTL-JMC Expert Review Panel for TSST
I am working with DfE/NCTL supporting teacher supply, recruitment and retention, including for:
Paul has developed enrichment materials which have been put together for outreach activities and events, including: RI Mathematics Masterclasses; Widening Participation Summer Schools; Enrichment Days, and through being a STEM Ambassador for many years. These resources include topics on: prime, transcendental, and Fibonacci numbers; proof; as well as codes, code-breaking, and internet security.
Paul has been briefing universities on Core Maths, and post-16 mathematics more generally, following an invitation to them from BIS/DfE to find out more about Core Maths. He also supported the work of the DfE/HMT Smith Review of Post 16 Mathematics.
Paul is also the Chair of The Joint Mathematical Council of the UK (JMC).